Following up on a suggestion (I wish I could remember who passed along this hint!), I was scoping out historically significant anniversaries occurring in 2014 as potential topics for my writing.
In theory, choosing a topic that’s–well, topical–can be a marketing advantage. Unfortunately, none of the anniversaries I’ve found has inspired me so far, but I thought they would be worth sharing because maybe one of them will inspire you.
10 historically significant anniversaries coming up in 2014:
- The 100th anniversary of the beginning of World War I
- The 450th anniversary of Shakespeare’s birth, which will be commemorated in 2014 by the first annual Shakespeare Week in the UK.
- 250th anniversary of St. Louis, MO
- 150th anniversary of the American Civil War
- Speaking of the Civil War, The H. L. Hunley sank the Union warship USS Housatonic in Charleston harbor 150 years ago.
- 50 years since President Lyndon B. Johnson signed the Wilderness Act, which established the National Wilderness Preservation System for the use and benefit of the American people.
- 100 years since James Joyce’s first novel, A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, began to be published as a serial
- The 150th anniversary of the birth of Richard Strauss
- 60 years since the first color TVs went on sale in the U.S.
- 10 years since Facebook was launched.